San Francisco Earthquake
Sutros, Bistro, Terrace Room, Gift Shop
Cursed? The first Cliff House was built in 1863, the food and views popular with locals as well as the rich and famous until it blew up, literally, when a ship full of dynamite wrecked on the beach below in 1887. Fixed up, it was destroyed by fire Christmas of 1894. Grandly rebuilt as a 8-story Chateau, it survived the 1906 earthquake only to burn to the ground the next year. The third modest version opened in 1909 only to killed by Prohibition. The Park Service acquired it in 1977.