The Architecture of Adler & Sullivan
In a prolific 15-year period between 1880 and 1895, Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan teamed up to produce an architecture that was stridently American—one that drew from nature for its ornament while creating simple, modern forms on steel frame walls.
Sullivan Krause Ornament 2
Glazed terra cotta ornamentation on the Krause Music Store building at 4611 North Lincoln Avenue, Chicago, Illinois. Designed by Louis Sullivan, 1922.
St Louis, MO Wainwright Building
Designed by Adler and Sullivan and is considered one of the world's first skyscrapers with a steel frame and curtainwall. It opened in 1891. This is now a State of Missouri Office Building. The Wainwright Building is on the National Register of Historic Places #68000054, and is also a National Historic Landmark.
Photos at the City Museum
ARTISTIC INSPIRATION, according to Plato, is a kind of divine madness. The City Museum , in downtown Saint Louis, is known for its fanciful...
Once upon a time there was a university student who knew all the words to Madonna's Borderline but who wasn't very good about registering for courses on time... this resulted in an eclectic class schedule of subjects that had very little to do with the student's major but were still very entertaining... one of those classes was a survey of American architecture where the student was introduced to the work of Louis Sullivan and promptly fell in love. The End.
Dankmar Adler and Louis Sullivan The Auditorium Building, 1886–9, Chicago By combining Richardson’s vertical hierarchy with Burnham and Root’s elimination of the wall, Adler and Sullivan were able to achieve in this building some measure of balance between classical monumentality and the expression of modern structure.
Louis Sullivan, Dankmar Adler. Stenciled Frieze Panel from the Trading Room of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago, IL. c. 1893 | MoMA
Louis Sullivan, Dankmar Adler. Stenciled Frieze Panel from the Trading Room of the Chicago Stock Exchange, Chicago, IL. c. 1893. Oil on canvas. 56 x 53 1/2" (142.2 x 135.9 cm). Gift of Constance Caplan, Jo Carole and Ronald S. Lauder, and Robert B. Menschel. 611.2009. Architecture and Design