Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) as a maritime replenishment station, the Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa. From 1678 it was the centre of civilian, administrative and military life at the Cape, until the settlement grew and some functions and activities moved away from the Castle. Today the Castle is the seat of the military in the Cape, and houses the Castle Military Museum and Iziko Museums of Cape Town
Woodstock Beach circa 1935
Before moving to Newlands in 1955 the Castle Brewery was located in lower Woodstock. The road on the left crossing the railway lines is Lower Church str. that is still used today. The dark building on the beach is the Woodstock pavilion.