The original Anglo-Saxon settlement at Slepe was at the west end of the modern town, in the area right at the back of this picture. The present parish church of All Saints was rebuilt in the century, probably on the site of an old Anglo-Saxon church.
Pass the white bridge to Holt Island, and walk along the river bank away from the town along the Ouse Valley Way. Then, on your left, just after the Scouts HQ, is Noble's Field, given to the people of St Ives for their recreation.
This old Jacobean house (now shops and restaurants), on the town side of the bridge, dates from around 1600, but it has been much changed inside. It is sometimes called the Manor House - but it was never that! It is one of the few buildings in the centre of town that escaped the 1689 fire.
Where the market began. Looking down the Broadway towards the centre of town.The buildings in the middle separate Crown Street (on the left) from Merryland (on the right). These buildings were built on the site of the original market stalls that used to be set up in the centre of what was once a very wide road. The monument celebrates Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee in 1897, although it wasn't actually erected until 1902.
Rakotz Bridge (“Devil’s Bridge”) in Kromlau, Germany, was built to create an optical illusion; regardless of the vantage point, it forms a perfect circle with its reflection in the waters of Lake Rakotzsee.