Bone Chapel, Campo Maior, Portugal On September 16, 1732 there was a tragic event in Campo Maior, a gunpowder magazine exploded after being struck by lightening, killing 1,500 people and destroying 823 houses. The Chapel of Bones (Capela dos Ossos) was built in 1766 entirely lined with the bones of the victims.
The Catacombs of the Capuchins ~ Italy’s most ghoulish site, this crypt houses thousands of corpses, fully dressed and hung from hooks. The practice began in 1599 when local priests mummified a holy monk and allowed visitors. Soon regular residents of Palermo wanted to be remembered in this fashion. Bodies are arranged by gender and profession; their facial expressions often eerily visible.