Antonio R. Calvo, ca. early 1920s. Antonio Regalado Calvo (1900-1973) and Maria de la Luz Mendez Calvo (1896-1982) were immigrants from Sonora, Mexico. They made a life together as the owners of a small Mexican restaurant, Las Delicias Café in the city of San Fernando, California. Both Antonio and Luz independently moved north during the time of the Mexican Revolution. Antonio and Luz (Mendez) Calvo Family Collection. Latino Cultural Heritage Digital Archives.
Luz Mendez (seated) and her cousin Rosalia, ca. early 1920s. Luz Mendez was the daughter of Antonio Regalado Calvo (1900-1973) and Maria de la Luz Mendez Calvo (1896-1982), who immigrated from Mexico during the Revolution and owned a Mexican restaurant, Las Delicias Café in the city of San Fernando. They had four children and were active in the Santa Rosa parish, a Catholic Church in San Fernando. Antonio and Luz (Mendez) Calvo Family Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Cover of a city directory for Mission Hills, circa 1964. Features illustrations of the San Fernando Mission with the Santa Susana Mountains in the background. Directory contains information and advertisements for businesses, schools, churches and recreation in Mission Hills. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Reverend Hillery T. Broadous and wife Rosa L. Broadous at the mortgage burning banquet for Calvary Baptist Church of Pacoima, January 1963. The Broadous' were married in 1937. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Groundbreaking for Los Angeles State College, San Fernando Valley Campus (now CSUN), January, 1956. From left to right: Howard McDonald, then President of L.A. State; Gov. Goodwin Knight; Superintendent of Public Instruction Roy E. Simpson; and Patricia Kulpatric, L.A. State Homecoming Queen. CSUN University Digital Archives.
Tropico Post Office circa 1910. The building was owned by W. C. B. Richardson and was located at the corner of Central and San Fernando. Glendale Central Public Library -- San fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Hollywood Way, looking south, approaching Lockheed Air Terminal in 1944. Camouflage is visible on the roof of the plant. On the left is the Vega Plant which was the first plant to use fluorescent lighting. Sign for the Skyroom Cafe is on the left; the Terminal Drive-In is on the right. Coralie Hewitt Tillack Collection. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Isaac Newton Van Nuys, circa 1912. Van Nuys was a Napa county wheatman and principal stockholder in the Farm Homestead Association. He believed the land in the San Fernando Valley was better suited for grain, so after four years of grazing sheep and cattle, he planted 3,000 acres of wheat, which resulted in 3 cargos of grain that were shipped to Liverpool. Canoga Owensmouth Historical Society. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.
Police and student demonstrators meet on the campus of San Fernando Valley State College, January 8, 1969. In November of 1968, student activists with demands for educational reform, including ethnic studies departments, went into action on the SFVSC campus. The following January, a rally turned violent in front of the Administration Building. University Archives.