510 Jensen Blanche Kelso Bruce Elementary School, built in 1920 at 713 Bringhurst, was named for a distinguished former slave who founded a school for blacks in Missouri during the Civil War. Bruce went on to hold a number of important political posts before becoming the first African-American elected to the U.S. Senate (1875–1881). He subsequently served as registrar of the U.S. Treasury until his death in 1898. A replacement facility at 510 Jensen Drive was completed in 2007.
Thelma Patten Law graduated from high school in Houston. She was the first black woman to start her own medical practice in Houston. and one of the first black female Obstetrician/Gynecologists in the state. She was a member of the Lone Star State Medical Association and served as the first woman president in 1940.A leader in the black community for decades, Dr. Patten was married to Wheatley High School coach James Law, of which HISD's Law Elementary school is named.
Yates was established on February 8, 1926, as Yates Colored High School with 17 teachers and 600 students. The school, at 2610 Elgin, was the second school for African-Americans established in Houston. The first principal, James D. Ryan, served from the opening until his death in 1941.Ryan Middle School exists at the first location of Yates Colored High School
Beneva Williams Nyamu was only 14 in 1956 when she attempted to enroll at McReynolds Jr High. Despite the U.S. Supreme Court's Brown vs. Topeka ruling overturning separate but equal schools , Nyamu was turned away at the school office. Delores Ross, 9, and Beneva Williams, 14, became plaintiffs in a lawsuit. HISD reached an out-of-court settlement with the NAACP and the Mexican-American Legal Defense and Educational Fund in 1984.
Hazel Hainsworth Young, a Houston Independent School District teacher and counselor of nearly a half century In May, Young received a “Special Lifetime Achievement Award” from HISD for her dedication to Jack Yates High School, where she began her first job as a Latin teacher in 1926 when the school opened. In 1956 she was promoted to dean of girls, a job she carried to Phillis Wheatley High in 1959 until her retirement in 1972.
Gregory School named after Edgar M. Gregory, a Union officer and Assistant Commissioner of the Freedmen’s Bureau for the Texas area,
KAY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL—CLOSED 1978 1616 HebertThis school opened at 7621 Elm in 1904 as the Harrisburg School, serving African-American students as a part of the Harrisburg Independent School District. In 1952, it was renamed for Savannah Georgia Kay, who served as the school’s first principal, and a new building was constructed at 1616 Hebert. The school closed in 1978 and is now used as a land lab for students at César Chávez High School. c. 1914
This school was named for Phillis Wheatley. Wheatley was the first African-American person to publish a book in America. Wheatley High School was built in 1949. a replacement facility opened in 2006 just a few blocks away.
renderings showing the new Sherman Elementary School planned for the school’s current location at 1909 McKee St. in Northside Village. Construction of the 86,000-sq.-ft. structure is on target to begin within 2 months, after the existing school is demolished. The new school will serve students from Crawford Elementary, which will then be closed.
Worthing High School The schools serving Sunnyside proper include Young Elementary School, Attucks Middle School, and Worthing High School. Worthing is located in Sunnyside.Young Elementary opened as Sunny Side Elementary School in 1918; HISD renamed the school in June 1999 after Sunnyside residents petitioned for a renaming of the school. Young shares its campus with South Administrative Alternative Elementary and Drug-Free School.