Church of the Savior on the Blood was erected as a memorial in 1907 by Alexander III at the very spot where his father was killed. Since 1918, was used as a cult object. The church had no value, no artistic or historical and was empty for a long time. During World War II, it was turned into a morgue. In 1971 was taken over by St Isaac's Cathedral & began its restoration & opened it to the public in 1997.
Saint Petersburg .... View from Sowjetskaja Hotel to St. Nicholas Cathedral around midnight in July. In the background Saint Isaac's Cathedral and the towers of Saint Peter & Paul Cathedral can be seen.