Pointe Venus Lighthouse - In James Cook and his fellow astronomers planned a quick jaunt from England to observe the century's second transit of Venus. They may have miscalculated observation time. The team did not return to England until
The 30m majestic tower of Eddystone Rock standing proud in the turbulent waters off of South East Cape. The Rock, known for its inaccessibility and distinct shape, was named by Captain James Cook in 1777 because he thought it resembled Eddystone Lighthouse in Devon, England.
Cape Palliser Lighthouse, South Wairarapa, at the very Southern tip of the North Island, and 50kms East of the entrance to Wellington Harbour. Built in 1829, it plays a vital part in the safe navigation of Cook Strait, between New Zealand's North and South Islands. The Cape Palliser Lighthouse is an unmanned lighthouse blinking once every 20 seconds. Cape Palliser was named by Captain James Cook in honour of 'his worthy friend' Admiral Sir Hugh Palliser of the British Royal Navy.