Explore Vintage California, California History, and more!

Isn’t it amazing to think that the industry-leading behemoth called MGM could come from such humble beginnings? The “G” belonged to Samuel Goldwyn and the “M” belonged to Louis B. Mayer, but the first “M” came from Metro Pictures, which was owned by Richard Rowland who started it in 1915. Five years later, Loews acquired its stock and the road to Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer seems inevitable. This tiny studio was located at 6300 Romaine Street, on the corner of Cahuenga Blvd in Hollywood.

Mayer heads the new MGM Studios, a conglomeration of three studios: Metro Pictures (founded Goldwyn Pictures (founded and the Louis B. Mayer Co. (founded all owned by Marcus Loew.

Smog in Los Angeles (January 4, 1950). Records of that era show the R. H. Vazquez & Co. gun shop (visible at left in the picture) located at 972 East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.

Smog in Los Angeles (January Records of that era show the R. Vazquez & Co. gun shop (visible at left in the picture) located at 972 East Colorado Boulevard in Pasadena.

Variel Street, northeast at Van Owen Street, Canoga Park District, 1938.  Abandoned street cars used as houses in this sub-division. Poor Housing Conditions in Los Angeles Scrapbook. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Variel Street, northeast at Van Owen Street, Canoga Park District, Abandoned street cars used as houses in this sub-division. Poor Housing Conditions in Los Angeles Scrapbook.

This is an image of the first graduation at San Fernando Valley State College (SFVSC, now CSUN) in June of 1959. Ninety students received their degrees on the SFVSC football field. This image shows the large expanse of empty land held by the college at this time; visible in the background is the Santa Susana mountain range. CSUN University Digital Archives.

First graduation at San Fernando Valley State College, June 1959 :: CSUN University Archives

Brand Boulevard at San Fernando Road, San Fernando, circa 1925. A street car from the Van Nuys line of the Pacific Electric Railway is prominent at center. West Valley Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Brand Boulevard at San Fernando Road, San Fernando, circa A street car from the Van Nuys line of the Pacific Electric Railway is prominent at center.

Two images of the intersection of Van Nuys Boulevard and Sylvan Street, illustrating the growth of the city. The top image is dated February 22, 1911. The bottom image, dated July 18, 1934, shows Van Nuys City Hall, also known as the Valley Municipal Building in the background. It was built in 1932. Los Angeles Valley College Historical Museum. San Fernando Valley History Digital Library.

Van Nuys before and after, 1911 and 1934 :: San Fernando Valley History

(1954)* - Camera gets a last look at the old Van Nuys home built by Valley pioneer, George Beals, in 1909 at Sherman Circle and Van Nuys Boulevard. Site will soon be that of a new drive-in sandwich shop. Photo dated: December 2, 1954. – Valley Times

- Camera gets a last look at the old Van Nuys home built by Valley pioneer, George Beals, in 1909 at Sherman Circle and Van Nuys Boulevard. Site will soon be that of a new drive-in sandwich shop. Photo dated: December – Valley Times

Vintage San Fernando Valley - Adohr Farms, Woodland Hills, CA aerial view, circa 1940's (in 1941, Girard was renamed Woodland Hills)

Vintage San Fernando Valley - Adohr Farms, Woodland Hills, CA aerial view, circa (in Girard was renamed Woodland Hills)

Pinterest
Search