The “slip”, running along Pershing from Racine to Halsted, 1924, Chicago. This is the wasteland created where the runoff from the Stockyards connected to the river - and at one time was technically known as the eastern fork of the south branch of the Chicago River.
Union Stockyard Gate Designed by John Wellborn Root (of Burnham and Root) back in 1875, this gate serves as one of the only remaining footprints to Chicago's once thriving meat-packing industry. Look closely: The bull at the top pays homage to Sherman, a prize-winning beast owned by John B. Sherman, the superintendent of the yards. Union Stockyard Gate, 850 West Exchange Avenue (at Halsted Street).