The Transfer House holds a great deal of sentimental value to the people of Decatur Illinois. Built in 1895, on Lincoln Square, the Transfer House sat in the center of the original town. It served as a shelter for those waiting to board street cars and later buses. Transfer House has been much more to the citizens of Decatur than just protection from the cold. Reminds us of a time when those crazy trolley parties were the rage and young people lined up to ride the new electric street cars.