The Rundāle Palace ensamble, one of the most outstanding monuments of Baroque and Rococo architecture in Latvia, was built between 1736 and 1740 as a summer residence for Ernst Johann Biron, Duke of Courland
Rundāle Palace (Latvian: Rundāles pils; German: Schloss Ruhental, formerly also Ruhenthal and Ruhendahl) is one of the two major baroque palaces built for the Dukes of Courland in what is now Latvia, the other being Jelgava Palace. The palace was built in two periods, from 1736 until 1740 and from 1764 until 1768. It is situated at Pilsrundāle, 12 km west of Bauska.
7 Maximilliansaal, looking to the glass doors which open to the main corridor and the grand staircase. The floor above also has glass doors (and a railing.) The burgundy areas above the side doors once held allegorical oil paintings. The soviets took them and lost them without trace. This is a great shot of the rococo ceiling. JC