This week, the Ontario Premier officially apologized to the Franco-Ontarian community for Regulation 17, which outlawed French in education for Ontario kids from 1912 and 1927 (not abolished until 1944). This was taken in 1922, at Yonge & Adelaide in Toronto. Vive les #franco-ontariens!
It’s Budget Time in the city, and we hear lots of talk about infrastructure and the need to improve it. This picture shows the Mayor, T.L. Church, turning the sod on an infrastructure project that had everyone talking back in 1915: the construction of the Bloor St. Viaduct. This picture was taken on January 16, 1915, in the Don Valley.
A cosy, warm picture for a cold, blustery week: Toronto Public Library staff member Marjorie Bullard reads in the Children's section, ensconced in the inglenook of the High Park library's fireplace. This photograph was taken by her brother, Maurice, at Christmastime in 1940. Marjorie worked in several branches in her 45 years of service, and retired from the Locke branch in 1973. Creator: Bullard, Maurice, 1899-1967 Date: 1940 Identifier: TPL-A-0160 Format: Picture Rights: Public domain…
Couldn’t resist this picture of the East End Day Nursery from around 1900! Founded in 1892, in a building shared with the Sackville Street Mission, it was one of only two daycare centres in the city. Its goal was to prevent social problems: “We come to the aid of people who, perhaps, might become paupers and possibly their children criminals”. More info: Howe & Prochner. Early Childhood Care and Education in Canada. UBC Press, 2000.
A lovely winter scene from Toronto in the 1920s: These people (some of whose names are Mervin and Frieda & Bill Jones) are on a skating rink in Eglinton Park (north of Eglinton W, between Edith Dr and Oriole Pkwy). You can see the back of the houses on Edith Dr., and Roselawn Ave is on the left. This is one of the Baldwin Collection pictures on Toronto Public Library’s Digital Archive (tpl.ca/digital-archive).