Built between 1583 and 1611, the " lighthouse of the Kings", in the estuary of the Gironde, is the oldest lighthouse in France. The initial command of Henry III. Continued under the reign of Henry IV. The lighthouse thus has chapel and royal apartments. Listed as a Historical Monument in 1862, Cordouan Lighthouse also holds a major place in the history of lighting techniques. It was indeed here that the new experiments were tested.