Little Moreton Hall is a moated 15th and 16th-century half-timbered manor house. The earliest parts of the house were built for the prosperous Cheshire landowner Sir Richard de Moreton around 1450; the remainder was constructed in various campaigns by three successive generations of the family until around 1580. The house remained in the ownership of the Moreton family for almost five centuries.
Little Moreton Hall, Cheshire. The name Moreton probably derives from the Old English mor meaning "marshland" and tune, meaning "farm", thus literally "a farm at a marsh". Little Moreton Hall first appears in the historical record in 1271, but the present building dates from the early 16th century.