St Bartholomew's gatehouse that leads to the oldest parish church in London - St Bartholomew-the-Great - was built in the sixteenth century and is where Queen Mary ate chicken and drank red wine while watching Protestant martyrs burn at the stake. It was only when a first World War German Zeppelin bomb in 1916 fell nearby that the tiles to this arch fell off to reveal this Elizabethan half timber fronted house built in 1597. Rear view of the Elizabethan gate house.
The Great Fire of London destroyed over 400 acres of London, including 13,200 houses and 87 out of 109 churches. Tucked away in a small street in Farringdon, however, is a lonely survivor - 41 and 42 Cloth Fair. Built between 1597 and 1614, this house is sometimes described as the oldest in London. It may have only survived the fire because it was sheltered by the walls of a nearby priory. Picture: Alamy