The first cotton mill in Renfrewshire was the Levern Mill on Main Street, Barrhead, built opposite the Dovecothall Mill of 1780. A firm called Ramsay, Livingston & Love, managed by Mr Jonathan Heugh, built the new premises, which were required to house the sophisticated machinery being introduced into the industry. The mill ran on waterpower at first but when it was taken over by the Dunlops, steam power was introduced.
Busby House was completely remodelled by famous Glasgow architect Alexander Greek Thomson (1817 - 1875) in 1858 from an original building of 1796. Thomson designed a magnificent extension in honey coloured sandstone (possibly from the nearby Giffnock Quarries), linking the house to an existing 2-storey building at the rear.
The present Robert Adam designed Caldwell House was built by William Mure's son, William 'Baron Mure'. It lies close to Lugton Water + the villages of Uplawmoor in East Renfrewshire & Lugton in East Ayrshire. The last in a series of early experimental houses in the castle style which began in England with Ugbrooke House + in Scotland with Mellerstain House, Berwickshire. Category A listed building. Home of the Mure family home until 1909.
The Earl planned his new village with two ranges of houses built around the Orry, an area of common land intended for the common good, two furlongs and thirty falls (about one-third of a mile) in length, interspersed with trees and divided in the centre by the Linn Burn or Eaglesham or Kirkton Burn as it was also known.