Touro Synagogue, founded in 1828 in New Orleans, was the first synagogue outside of the 13 original colonies and the sixth oldest synagogue in the country. It is the result of a re-merger between two congregations, Congregation Gates of Mercy and Congregation Dispersed of Judah. Congregation Gates of Mercy was founded in 1828; Congregation Dispersed of Judah) in 1846. The two congregations reunited in 1881. The current sanctuary at 4238 Saint Charles Ave. was dedicated on January 1, 1909.
St. Adalbert Church at 1650 W. 17th St. was completed in 1914. The parish was organized in 1874 to serve the Polish community. The architect Henry J. Schlacks modeled the twin towers and copper domes after St. Paul’s Basilica in Rome. The church currently conducts three Sunday services, in Polish, English and Spanish.