In the 1920s chlorine gas was marketed as a treatment for cold, flu, whooping cough, etc. The patient would break open the Kil-a-cold chlorine "bomb" in a closed room. The 0.35g of chlorine gas would permeate the air the patient was breathing. Ads said their cold symptoms would disappear within an hour. Chlorine gas is toxic at high doses and had been used by the Germans in WWI before this treatment was marketed.
Traité complet d'anatomie de l'homme (1866-1871), 2nd ed. by Bourgery, Bernard, and Jacob. This instrument (used prior to the discovery of anesthesia), initially caught the stone with a claw, drilled it to smaller pieces, and then removed the smaller fragments by the same claw.
The wealthier families of the 1500s had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead from these plates to leach out onto the food, causing lead poisoning and sometimes death. This poisoning happened most frequently with tomatoes. So, for approximately the next 400 years, most people considered tomatoes to be poisonous.