Similar ideas popular now
American Civil War
Civil War Photos
The 127th U.S. Colored Infantry was formed on August 23, 1864, at Camp William Penn, near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Engagements: Siege of Petersburg, Battle of Chaffin's Farm, Battle of Fair Oaks & Darbytown Road, Appomattox Campaign, Appomattox Court House
Flag for the 25th US Colored Troops, one of the 11 regiments from Pennsylvania. This and others were painted by David B. Bowser, an African American artist. This image of the front is a hand-colored image of a photograph. Only photographs survive of the Pennsylvania units. Inside the Conservator's Studio. Courtesy of the State of Pennsylvania.
The Left General Guide Flag of the 72nd Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Baxter's Philadelphia Fire Zouaves. This is the flag carried by this gallant regiment from Chancellorsville to Weldon Railroad, including at Gettysburg at the repulse of Pickett's charge. The flag is accompanied by the original calligraphy certificate, dated December 13, 1905, presenting the flag to the "Association of Survivors" of the regiment "By Sergeant Frank A. Rementer Co. K Who carried it in the following Battles:"
(10-2012) Enlarge 2nd Iowa Cavalry Regt. Banner: This is a photograph of the Regimental Banner of the Second Iowa Veterans Volunteer Cavalry. Please note the battles they thought worthy of being placed on their banner: Corinth - Iuka - Farmington - Nashville - and Booneville. This banner is on display in the State Museum of Iowa, in Des Moines, Iowa.
Regimental flag of the 71st Ohio Volunteer Infantry. It was the 71st Ohio that surrendered the town of Clarksville, Tennessee to a much smaller force of Confederate cavalry led by Adam "Stovepipe" Johnson and Thomas Woodward on August 18, 1862.
The blue, silk company color carried by Company I, 34th Regiment NY Volunteer Infantry includes a sylized Arms of the State of New York painted to the obverse complete with the company commander's name, Captain Wm. H. King (left). The reverse includes painted battle honors commemorating the company's service from October 1861 (Edward's Ferry, Maryland) to September 1862 (Antietam, Maryland) and a portrait of Revolutionary War hero Friedrich Wilhelm Augustus von Steuben (right).