Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) as a maritime replenishment station, the Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa. From 1678 it was the centre of civilian, administrative and military life at the Cape, until the settlement grew and some functions and activities moved away from the Castle. Today the Castle is the seat of the military in the Cape, and houses the Castle Military Museum and Iziko Museums of Cape Town
Cape Town Train Station. A steam train prepares to leave Cape Town station in a photograph from around 1890. In the background, the slopes of Signal Hill are visible. The old station was replaced by the present complex, in 1964. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Adderley Street, Cape Town 1908. Cape Town was laid out by the Dutch, but the buildings put up by the Boers have now almost disappeared, and today it has stores and public buildings that make it not unlike a modern city of England or the United States| Flickr - Photo Sharing!