Sammy Marks Museum

Sammy Marks arrived in South Africa with a case of silver knives as his only valuable possession, and became one of the first entrepreneurs, playing a significant role in mining, industrial and agricultural development in the country. Zwartkoppies Hall is the Victorian mansion where businessman and entrepreneur Sammy Marks and his family lived from 1885 to 1909, after which it became a weekend retreat. After his death his widow and children inhabited it until the death of the last one in 1978.
20 Pins54 Followers
The magnificent teak staircase that sweeps up to the second floor.

The magnificent teak staircase that sweeps up to the second floor.

Zwartkoppies Hall, the residence of the Marks family, is set in a park-like garden and is furnished with the original belongings of the Marks family, which is in itself a rare phenomenon.

Zwartkoppies Hall, the residence of the Marks family, is set in a park-like garden and is furnished with the original belongings of the Marks family, which is in itself a rare phenomenon.

A Room

A Room

Even though Sammy Marks had an office on Church Square, the study is crammed with books

Even though Sammy Marks had an office on Church Square, the study is crammed with books

The billiard room with the mahogany billiard table and beautifully painted ceiling.

The billiard room with the mahogany billiard table and beautifully painted ceiling.

The billiard room with the mahogany billiard table and beautifully painted ceiling.

The billiard room with the mahogany billiard table and beautifully painted ceiling.

The house consists of 40 odd rooms and features a Burmese teakwood staircase and billiard room with beautifully painted ceiling. The Museum houses a remarkable collection of Victorian silver, porcelain and furniture. The walls were painted by an Italian artist and most of it has been restored to its former glory. There is solid brass bed in the main bedroom, a Bechstein piano in the music room and a huge coal stove that came all the way from Scotland in the kitchen.

The building of the house (called Zwartkoppies Hall) started in The original house consisted of 7 rooms and a passage

98 % of the household contents in Sammy Marks Museum originally belonged to the Marks family

98 % of the household contents in Sammy Marks Museum originally belonged to the Marks family

The Museum was opened in November 1986. In March 1989 Zwartkoppies was declared a national monument.

The Museum was opened in November In March 1989 Zwartkoppies was declared a national monument.


More ideas
Pinterest
Search