Tulbagh is a wonderful place to visit to see the vernacular Cape Dutch architecture. The combination of whitewashed walls, Dutch gables, reminiscent of Amsterdam, thick wattle and daub walls. The valley was first discovered by European settlers in 1658. The town was developed in 1743. Post the 1969 earthquake every historic home in Church Street was restored to its original glory. These 32 buildings now are the largest concentration of National Monuments in a single street in South Africa.