Objectification of women
The poster reads: “But all he did was touch you right?” - the most common response when sharing what happened to 5 and 7 year old me. — Photographed in New York City on July 16th. — Not sure what Project Unbreakable is? Click here. Want to be a part of Project Unbreakable? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org — Find us on Facebook & Twitter View submissions here
According to this infographic, 57% of rock music videos feature women as sex objects. What do the other 43% show? Pop culture norms tell us they are most likely not showing objectification of men. An even sadder statistic: ONLY 2% of women think they are beautiful. Objectification has lasting effects on a woman's self-esteem. "Every 15 seconds, a woman is battered" When men are taught to see women as objects, it makes it that much easier to treat them as property and abuse them. (findings)
Vanessa Escalera- This Dolce & Gabbana ad shows how male-dominated our culture is when reflecting on the idea of the "male gaze." The woman in the ad is forcefully being gazed upon by several men. She is being dominated in the image by the several men shown and she reflects how the sexual objectification of women's bodies are commonly used in ads that consist of this male-gaze.
"Also, can we stop to equating women with inanimate possessions in an attempt to show their value and worth??? Jesus f*cking Christ, I'm not a bank with the doors left open. I'm not a car parked in a "bad neighborhood". I'm not a shiny wrist watch, or a purse left unattended. I'm a f*cking human being!"