Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) as a maritime replenishment station, the Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa. From 1678 it was the centre of civilian, administrative and military life at the Cape, until the settlement grew and some functions and activities moved away from the Castle. Today the Castle is the seat of the military in the Cape, and houses the Castle Military Museum and Iziko Museums of Cape Town
Bathing Pool and Pavilion, Sea Point, Cape Town
Capetonians cool off in the inviting waters at the pool in Sea Point while onlookers enjoy the shade of the Pavilion in this early photo. Note the low-rise skyline of the buildings in the background.
Church Square, Cape Town
A view of Church Square dating from around 1892. The slave tree, under which slaves were sold, was situated just to the right of the trees in the photograph. The remarkable clarity of this image was achieved by the photographer taking multiple exposures - as indicated by the slight blur of the feet of pedestrians crossing the square.