It was one of South Africa’s many dark moments. Fifty years ago, on 11 February in 1966, the neighbourhood of District Six on the fringe of Cape Town’s centre was declared for “Whites Only”.
Victoria and Alfred Docks c1899. | C1899
District Six Cape Town (1964)
The USS Huntington arrives to a very desolate foreshore in 1948.
Cape Town 1877 and even then it was only an hour from Franschhoek home of La Clé des Montagnes - 4 luxurious villas on a working wine farm
Adderley Street Cape Town looking towards Table Mountain 1898 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cape Town : Waterfront
Crossing Adderley street. c1940. | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Cape Town, Still on the Water's Edge : The War Memorial, Adderley Street 1945 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
The old Post Office in Adderley Street (right), ... ...was joined to the telephone exchange building by a bridge over Parliament Street