The Opera House, Cape Town
This building, opened in 1893, was situated on the corner of Darling and Grave* Streets, on the site eventually occupied by the General Post Office. It was built before the present Standard Bank Building was extended from Adderley Street through to Parliament Street. The Opera House Restaurant on the first floor was for many years one of the most popular eating-out establishments in Cape Town. It was demolished in 1937. * Grave Street then, is Parliament Street today; the location of the…
The Mouille Point Lighthouse
Early 1900s The Mouille Point lighthouse went out of use in 1908 when the Table Bay harbour breakwater light came into operation. The structure was still in existence in 1921, but was later demolished. The foundation of the tower is located in the grounds of the Cape Peninsula University of Technology situated on the site of the old Mouille Point Battery at Granger Bay.