The Castle of Good Hope. Built between 1666 and 1679 by the Dutch East India Company (VOC) as a maritime replenishment station, the Castle of Good Hope is the oldest surviving colonial building in South Africa.
Plaisir de Merle dates to 1687 when the French Huguenot, Charles Marais and his family were granted the land by Governor Simon van der Stel. They named the farm Le Plessis Marly after the small village from which they had come in France. Over time, the pronunciation changed.