Aerial view of University of Houston including Robertson Stadium - 1950. In 1936, the University of Houston acquired nearly 110 acres for a permanent campus from donations from Ben Taub and the Settegast estate. The school began holding classes on the new campus, located east of downtown, in 1939. Today, the University of Houston main campus has extended to 550 acres bordered by Wheeler, Elgin, and Scott streets. Special Collections, University of Houston Libraries (Public Domain).