Tsarskoe Selo: a village outside of St. Petersburg that the Romanov Tsars and Empresses loved to call home, containing amongst its buildings the Catherine and Alexander Palaces. IMAGE: Catherine Palace, Tsarskoye Selo, Russia
The Romanov Palace (1892-95). The latter – projected by Leon Benois and designed by Leopold Bilfeldt – was built on the bank of the Mtkvari River (Kura) as a summer mansion of Grand Duke Nicholas Mikhailovich of Russia. In the Soviet times, the Likani residence passed into the property of the state and was frequented by key Soviet officials, including Joseph Stalin. In a newly independent Georgia, the palace functions as a summer residence of the President of Georgia.