If you know a poison ivy sufferer, have them TRY THIS! To quickly rid yourself of poison ivy/oak/sumac you must eliminate the oils from the plant. OTC meds only relieve discomfort. To completely make it go away, you have to make the oils go away. The oils from the plant stay w/you as the liquid seepage in the rash) and the more it seeps, the more you can spread it and hold onto the rash. Scrub yourself & sheets/clothes affected in Dawn daily. The poison will dry right up & go away!
Calamine lotion used in the 1950s for sun burn, poison ivy blisters. It is a chalky pink color. Calamine is either a mixture of Zinc Oxide with about 0.5% ferric oxide or a zinc carbonate compound. In a 1992 press release, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that no proof had been submitted showing calamine to be safe for use or effective in treating bug bites, stings & rashes from poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac.