Palmyra (/ˌpælˈmaɪrə/; Aramaic: ܬܕܡܘܪܬܐ Tedmurtā ; Arabic: تدمر Tadmor) was an ancient Semitic city in present Homs Governorate, Syria. Archaeological finds date back to the Neolithic, and it was first documented in the early second millennium BC as a caravan stop for travellers crossing the Syrian Desert.
Palmyra, Roman Theatre with its nearly intact stage
Desert citadel Palmyra has been designated a site of Outstanding Universal Value by Unesco: ‘Its grand, colonnaded street of 1100 metres’ length forms the monumental axis of the city, which together with secondary colonnaded cross streets links the major public monuments including the Temple of Ba’al, Diocletian’s Camp, the Agora, theatre, other temples and urban quarters’ Photograph: Julian Kaesler/Getty Images/Flickr Open
July 2006 Temple of Baal-Shamin Temple of Baal-Shamin, the Lord of the Heavens in Semitic pantheon, responsible for rain and fecundity. Temple was dated ca. AD 17 and its cella dated AD 130. It was completelly restored in 1954-6 by Swiss archeologists.