The London Stone in Cannon Street is the oldest piece of London. It was moved in the 1700s from the south side of the street to the north side and built into the wall of the former Church of Saint Swithun before the church was bombed in WW2, yet the stone was left unharmed. The name “London Stone” was first recorded in historical documents around 1100. - Click on pin for full history.
At the entrance to the Oxford Arms the Society for Photographing the Relics of Old London was set up to save the Oxford Arms, yet it failed in the endeavour, preserving only this photographic record.>> One of a collection of wonderful early photographs of the Capital.