HMS Vanguard, the Royal Navy's last battleship - in fact the last completed anywhere. She was laid down at the beginning of WW2 to make use of the 8 x 15 in guns stored after the conversion of light battlecruisers Courageous and Glorious to carriers, but higher resource priorities meant she was not completed till 1946. She stayed in commission till 1960.
HMS Vanguard pictured in Portsmouth harbour in 1960, the year in which she was de-commissioned. The last battleship ever to enter service anywhere, she was laid down in 1939 as a 'one off' to make use of stored 15 in guns as war loomed, but competing resource priorities delayed her completion till 1946.
HMS Vanguard was the last battleship commissioned into the Royal Navy: laid down as a 'one off' on the outbreak of war in 1939 to make use of the 8 stored 15 in guns from light battlecruisers Glorious and Courageous (converted to carriers), competing resource priorities meant she was not completed till 1946. She stayed in service till 1960.
HMS Vanguard(23) showing her distinctive transom stern. The Royal Navy's last battleship, HMS Vanguard, shown shortly after commissioning in 1946. Laid down as a 'one off' early in WW2 to make use of stored 15 in guns, her completion was delayed till after the war by higher resource priorities.Built by John brown & Co, Clydebank. 44,500t standard load,814ft long.4 Shafts powered by 4 Parson Steam Turbines gave 30kn. 4 x 2 15" & 8 X 2 5.1/4" QF guns. She remained in commission till 1960.