* An exterior view from the River Thames. The public house was originally built in 1520 and known as the Devil's Tavern through its association with thieves and smugglers. Its name was changed to the Prospect of Whitby in 1777.
The Prospect Of Whitby [shown here in 1940] at №57 Wapping Wall E1, is London's oldest riverside pub, dating back to 1520. Most areas of the pub have spectacular views over the Thames, including the beer garden, first-floor balcony, and terrace. The pub was originally frequented by those involved in life on the river and sea; it was a notorious haunt for smugglers, thieves, and pirates.