Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

The 3rd largest city in the USA was founded by a Black man. Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable was first settler in Chicago, arriving from Europe in 1770s. He married a Native Potawatomi Indian woman (Kittahawa) & founded first trading post in area. The Town of Chicago was organized with a population of 350, August 1833. Born in Saint-Marc, Saint-Domingue (now Haiti), he built the first permanent settlement at the mouth of the river just east of present Michigan Avenue Bridge on the north bank.

36
9

Haitian Revolution. First black republic, first independent nation in Latin America, and first nation to receive its independence with a successful slave revolt. #Ayiti

16
4

'Creole is thought to be around 300 years old as a distinct language.' Haiti: the Bradt Guide www.bradtguides.com

Patrick Farrell's Pulitzer prize-winning selection of photographs

20
4

"I was born a slave, but nature gave me the soul of a free man." François-Dominique Toussaint Louverture, a freed slave and a General in the Haitian Army, led the Haitian Revolution (1791-1804). It led to the end of slavery there and the founding of the Republic of Haiti. #blackhistorymonth

7

Leah Gordon's new photographs investigate colonialist Moreau de St. Mery's bizarre system of skin color classification. Invented in Haiti during the 18th century to categorize the indigenous population, the system classifies skin along nine degrees of shading, from pure black to white with lots of made-up names ('Mamelouque,' 'Quarteronné,' 'Sang-Mêlé' ...) in between.

“ They recorded 1.3 million people of African descent which is about 1.2% of the population. Que viva la gente AfroMexicanx! ”

6

Fact Of The Day Did you know that: Descendants of African slaves make up 95% of Haiti’s population. The other 5% are mulattos, descendants of French planters and African slaves, and whites. Haiti also has a small population of Middle Easterners, descendants of Syrian and Lebanese people who came to Haiti in the nineteenth century.

2

The Haitians are a people of the Caribbean, the main population of the Republic of Haiti comprises the western part of the island of Haiti Group of the Greater Antilles. In anthropological terms - 90% Negroid, mulattoes others. The Africans of West Africa were imported by the French to work in the plantations. As part of the national liberation struggle (1791-1804) most whites fled the island, some were killed. Haiti - the first country in the Caribbean and Latin America gained its…

7
2