Pinterest • The world’s catalogue of ideas

Liberty of London, c.1910 - The Shops of Old London ++ http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/11/17/the-shops-of-old-london/

pin 550
heart 49
speech 5

Alexandra and Ainsworth Estate 4, South Hampstead, London, Neave Brown, Camden Council’s Architects Department, 1972-1979 Photo: Simon Phipps

pin 179
heart 16

Liberty of London

Next a spot of shopping at the Tudor Revival building that hosts the London department store, Liberty.

pin 96
heart 21
speech 2

Hackney Hospital, formerly the Union Workhouse ~ built in 1841 as a workhouse. In 1930, the workhouse came under the control of the London County Council, becoming Hackney Hospital. The final hospital departments closed in 1995. Described as "arguably the worst general hospital psychiatric facility in the country. The site was cramped & the monolithic workhouse became ill suited to modern medical standards."

pin 56
heart 4

Visions of an Industrial Age // Hayward Gallery, London | '' It is an icon of sixties brutalist architecture and is one of the few remaining buildings of this style. The Hayward was designed by a group of young architects, including Dennis Crompton, Warren Chalk and Ron Herron. ''

pin 25
heart 1

Inspiring Architecture

Bilbao Department of Health #architectsjournal #makearchitects design inspiration, architecture, luxury homes . See more inspirations at www.luxxu.net

pin 42
heart 8
speech 1

nice way of setting a range oven into the chimney breast, with little shelf around the edge to integrate

pin 2.9k
heart 141
speech 3

London-UK. The Natural History Museum is one of three large museums on Exhibition Road, South Kensington, London, England (the others are the Science Museum, and the Victoria and Albert Museum). Its main frontage is on Cromwell Road. The museum is an exempt charity, and a non-departmental public body sponsored by the Department for Culture, Media and Sport. #London #UK

pin 73
heart 9

Jenners Department Store, commonly known simply as Jenners, is located at the corner of Princes Street and South St David Street. For a long time, Jenners was a family-run business, but was brought under the ownership of House of Fraser. It has maintained its original position on Princes Street since 1838. Known as the "Harrods of the North", it has held a Royal Warrant since 1911.

pin 92
heart 9
speech 1

1914: life before war – in pictures

Before the war: The front of a Marks and Spencer store in Holloway, London

pin 13
heart 1

Alexandra Road estate, Camden, London, 1968-1978, Grade II listed. Architect: Neave Brown, Architecture Department, Camden Council.

pin 64
heart 6

Funded by an £8 million donation from British inventor, designer and engineer James Dyson, this new hub for innovation and invention at the University of Cambridge’s Department of Engineering was designed by Nicholas Hare Architects. The new James Dyson building is now home to some of the brightest engineering minds in the country undertaking post …

First Look: McMurtry Building for the Department of Art & Art History

Lost British department stores

Victorian picture of crowds aside Swan & Edgar, a historic London department store now closed

pin 25
heart 3

Oxford Street in the 1890s; Marshall & Snelgrove is on the left, on the corner of Vere Street. It merged with Debenhams in 1919, and the building has since been re-built.

pin 13
heart 4

Swears & Wells Ltd, Ladies Modes, 1925. The Shops of Old London ++ http://spitalfieldslife.com/2012/11/17/the-shops-of-old-london/

pin 91
heart 3