The first Anderson Shelter was erected in a garden in Islington. In all two and a half million were built to protect people from bombs in WW2, today 25th February.1939 They were made from six corrugated iron sheets bolted together at the top with steel plates at either end. The entrance was protected by a steel shield and an earthen blast wall. We had one of these in our back garden
Pickles from Bristol 1940 Preparation for lunch in an Anderson Shelter with the family pet "Pickles". The Anderson shelter was designed in 1938 by William Paterson and Oscar Carl (Karl) Kerrison in response to a request from the Home Office. It was named after Sir John Anderson, then Lord Privy Seal with special responsibility for preparing air-raid precautions immediately prior to the outbreak of World War II, and it was he who then initiated the development of the shelter.