The Pennsylvania Railroad in 1880 began the construction of the most elegant hotel at Cresson Springs - the Mountain House - with accommodations for 600 guests. Around it were 32 lots that could be leased for the construction of cottages. One of those cottages nearby belonged to Andrew Carnegie. The Mountain House opened during the summer of 1881 and closed in the mid-1890s before being torn down in 1916.
Aerial photo of Cresson Tuberculosis Sanatorium in April 1960 in Cambria County. Over the years, tens of thousands of people from throughout Pennsylvania were confined at Cresson, located about 140 miles from Harrisburg between Johnstown and Altoona. The facility has been approved for a historical marker which will be dedicated in 2014.
Life of a Small Town Photographer: May 2007 Although the water features are still silent and the grass is a little long the former Charles Schwab Estate in Loretto, PA still looks impressive in the late morning sun. The estate is now the home of the Franciscan T.O.R. friars who operate Saint Francis University.