The State Cinema in Castlemilk Road in King's Park was designed by Charles J McNair & Elder for Cathcart Picture Playhouse Ltd. At its opening in 1937 it was regarded as state of the art in cinema design, its streamlined facade outlined by red and blue neon strips at night. The State was renamed the County in 1971 and became a bingo hall in the following year.
The original Lyceum in Govan was a music hall, converted to "Govan's Super Cinema" in 1923, and destroyed by fire in 1937. With a capacity of 2,600, which opened in 1938, the Lyceum survived the onset of bingo until 1974, although films continued to be shown in what was claimed to be Glasgow's first cine-bingo complex until 1981. Govan's last cinema continues as a bingo hall today. - TheGlasgowStory