A storied operation
Redwood glass blowing business changed hands throughout 1800s By Lenka Walldroff Jefferson County Historical Society The history of Redwood glass actually began more than 190 years ago in Redford, a small village on the west bank of the Saranac River in Clinton County. In October 1831, a factory operating under the trade name of Redford…
Apparently a parade was being held on Main Street in Redwood at the time these undated photos were taken. Horses and wagons and the automobile offer some clues. Dyers Hotel later became the Redwood Hotel, and was razed in the 1980s.
Looking toward the trolley station in Redwood in the early 1900's. A box car in the background is standing near the station, which is hidden by trees, and in the foreground is the old Redwood Trading Post. One of the first trolley lines in Norther New York ran between Redwood and Alexandria Bay between 1902 and 1916. Operated by the St. Lawrence International Electric Railroad and Land Co., the line was seven and one-half miles long.