1901 South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War. They were built by the British to protect the railway bridges from Boer attacks. The stone is local while the remaining materials were imported from Britain. These Blockhouses could house 20 men with water, ammunition and supplies stored on the lower floor. The "living" area was the middle floor and was accessible by a retractable ladder and the top floor was the "look-out" deck. Only 1000 of these Blockhouses were built.