More than sixty thousand women, children and men were brought to the Cape to be sold into the chatel of slavery during the period 1652 – 1807. Thereafter slavery remained enshrined in law until 1834. These grim facts are often forgotten. The memorial on Church Square is itself a slave site of great significance, where slaves were sold. The memorial comprises eleven granite blocks, two are placed on a raised plinth on the South West corner of Church Square close to the Iziko Slave Lodge.