Bilton’s intriguing history can be traced back to 1694, when the farm, Bonterivier, as it was then known, was granted by Governor Simon van der Stel to Willem Jansz van de Werelt. Today, more than three centuries later, the surname of the first owner has taken on a significant new meaning. Van de Werelt means “of the world” and in recent years, the fine wines produced on this progressive wine farm have indeed become sought-after by wine lovers across the world.
The Bilton Wines cellar is a gravity fed cellar with a current capacity of 100 tonnes, which is relatively small in relation to other Stellenbosch farms. The 100 tonnes of grapes are hand selected for our wines and ensure that only the best quality grapes are used from the harvest.