South African Coat of Arms 1932 - 2000
New Armorial Bearings and supporters were granted to the Union of South Africa by Royal Warrant in 1910. These Arms were later changed to improve their "artistic" quality and a new design was approved by the London College of Arms in 1930. An "embellished" version was approved on 21 September 1932 and came into use during 1933. It is this version which was subsequently registered at the South African Bureau of Heraldry on 13 May 1968 with the following blazon: ARMS: Quarterly per fess wavy…
Jan van Riebeeck, the first Dutch governor of the Cape Colony, dies | South African History Online
Johan Anthonisz “Jan” van Riebeeck died in 1677 at the age of 57 in Batavia, now Jakarta, Indonesia, in the former Dutch East Indies. He landed at the Cape in April 1652 to establish a refreshment station for ships travelling to the East on behalf of the Dutch East India Company. Van Riebeek landed in three ships, with 82 men and 8 women, including his wife Maria de la Quellerie.