The South West Corner. This section of Muizenberg is steeped in history for it was here the Dutch (1652-1795) built the Posthuys (c. 1740), and in 1789 a powder magazine on the seaside of the ‘hard’ road opposite the Posthuys. Later a battery and breastworks (low temporary defensive walls or parapets) were constructed here to defend the Cape from the First British Occupation of 1795. Along this short route there are no less than eight National Monuments. These are the Posthuys, the Old Post…

The South West Corner. This section of Muizenberg is steeped in history for it was here the Dutch (1652-1795) built the Posthuys (c. 1740), and in 1789 a powder magazine on the seaside of the ‘hard’ road opposite the Posthuys. Later a battery and breastworks (low temporary defensive walls or parapets) were constructed here to defend the Cape from the First British Occupation of 1795. Along this short route there are no less than eight National Monuments. These are the Posthuys, the Old Post…

To the south of “The Fort” along the Main Road stand two buildings. The first is “Canty Bay House”, which was built of local mountain quarry stone. This late Victorian-styled building was constructed c. 1890. The front bay and verandah were added in 1899 when owned by a Mr Jenkinson. The building alongside is “Knight’s Villa”. It was designed by architect George Ransome for Mr Clifford Knight, a partner in the firm Thomson, Watson and Co. Ransome’s design was based on that of a Venetian…

To the south of “The Fort” along the Main Road stand two buildings. The first is “Canty Bay House”, which was built of local mountain quarry stone. This late Victorian-styled building was constructed c. 1890. The front bay and verandah were added in 1899 when owned by a Mr Jenkinson. The building alongside is “Knight’s Villa”. It was designed by architect George Ransome for Mr Clifford Knight, a partner in the firm Thomson, Watson and Co. Ransome’s design was based on that of a Venetian…

After Rhodes’ death in March 1902 the cottage was left in the care of his personal body servant Tony Delacrax until 1904. Thereafter the roof was altered and the cottage was boarded up until 1932 after which it was handed over to the Northern Rhodesian Government as a rest and recreational home for their civil servants. In 1937 it was handed over to the Cape Town City Council and in 1953 was converted into a museum. It was opened that year by the Mayor of Cape Town, Mr Fritz Sonnenberg, and…

After Rhodes’ death in March 1902 the cottage was left in the care of his personal body servant Tony Delacrax until 1904. Thereafter the roof was altered and the cottage was boarded up until 1932 after which it was handed over to the Northern Rhodesian Government as a rest and recreational home for their civil servants. In 1937 it was handed over to the Cape Town City Council and in 1953 was converted into a museum. It was opened that year by the Mayor of Cape Town, Mr Fritz Sonnenberg, and…

Pinterest
Search