West Street – Durban – A Pictorial History
West Street was named after Sir Martin West, Lieutenant Governor of Natal from 1845 to 1849. When Natal was annexed to the Cape of Good Hope in 1845, Martin West who was formerly the Civil Commissi…
Stroll across the road
Pedestrians stroll across a normally busy road in central Durban on a late Saturday afternoon before the next wave of traffic is sent forward by the green robot (traffic signal). The red brick building in the backgound was originally the Durban main train station. Today part of the restored building houses the Tourist offices, while the old sheds were converted into a shopping centre called The Workshop.