A British blockhouse, South Africa, 1901 (c) Approx 8,000 were built, manned by 50,000 troops & 16,000 African scouts. 6,400 kms of barbed wire fencing was erected in order to limit the Boers' freedom of movement.
1901 South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War. They were built by the British to protect the railway bridges from Boer attacks. The stone is local while the remaining materials were imported from Britain. These Blockhouses could house 20 men with water, ammunition and supplies stored on the lower floor. The "living" area was the middle floor and was accessible by a retractable ladder and the top floor was the "look-out" deck. Only 1000 of these Blockhouses were built.
A most unusual feature of this type of blockhouse is a pair of angle bastions at diagonally opposite corners, which were designed to provide for the flanking fire along the walls, similar to the function of Machouli galleries on other patterns, but at ground level. This blockhouse was a two level structure with a lookout tower.Witkop Blockhouse - Boer Wars Memorials and Monuments on Waymarking.com